Thursday, February 14, 2013

V-day Love


Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

As I wait for my valentine to arrive back in the city after spending a week in NYC for business, I thought I'd share my latest vegan experience. Sooo, yesterday I decided to be ambitious and re-create my favourite vegan pizza from Magic Oven.  I trekked to the nearby health food store and stocked up on all the ingredients to make spelt dough and fresh pesto that substitutes nutritional yeast for parmesan cheese.  Feeling confident, I get to work on my creation, listening to my favourite music as I stir the dough and wait for it to rise.  Yes....this is going to be even more delicious than the original. I'm a natural!  A few hours later, I get to work on the pesto.  The recipe is super easy, so I blend everything together (in the coffee grinder) and tell myself that I'm well on my way to becoming an expert.  I stretch the dough onto the pizza tray and pop it into the oven for five minutes.  Excellent! I can't wait to make this again tomorrow for Addy when he gets home!  The five minutes pass, and it's time to check the dough, and add the sauce and toppings.  Something with the dough seems a little off, but whatever.  No worries, the dough just needs to be cooked for a little longer. Into the oven it goes, and I set the timer for 10 more minutes.  I won't lie...for about 7 of those minutes I sat in front of the oven admiring my masterpiece.  I emailed a pic of it to Ad, to which he replied, "wow I'm impressed." What can I say? I'm talented.  I don't need to worry about keeping an eye on the pizza, because I'm laying right in front of the oven, watching the Daiya cheese melt minute by minute.  My intuition tells me it's ready, and that it's perfect.  I cut my first slice, send Ad a text, and dig in. YUMMMMMM.....omg this is.....alright....what the heck is wrong with this dough.....the pesto tastes a bit off......this is naaaasty! I spit out my bite before I start to gag.  Major fail. Ad asks me what went  wrong and tells me not to worry, that these things take practice. I won't be practicing for awhile, that's all I can say. 

And that is the story of how Adam and I ended up at Magic Oven on Valentine's Day.


1 comment:

mander*kiki said...

So sorry your dough was a fail michy. Dont give up!