Thursday, February 07, 2013

I'm Vegan! Day 3


I have never officially seen "Food, Inc.," but heard about it through my soul sister (who is also a veg-head); after discussing the film with her, it was enough to convert me to vegetarianism forever. That was one year ago, and my pescatarian ways are still going strong. Fast forward to now, and this is my story...

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 started out like an other ordinary morning. That is, until I decided to watch the documentary "Vegecated" on Netflix. The movie resonated with me like no other, and I just knew I was born to be a vegan. The images brought tears to my eyes and the descriptions of factory farming horrified me. I was overcome with clarity and purpose. My favourite quote from the movie is, "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would become a vegetarian." As someone who adores animals, I can't even bear the thought of them being harmed in any way. Over-fed chickens falling over from being unable to support their body weight and forced into overcrowded pens, pigs and cattle subjected to medical procedures without anesthesia or antibiotics, and of course the methods in which the animals are slaughtered....I was overcome with sadness. And so at 11:34am on a cold, winter day, I made the life-changing decision to become a vegan.

I have spent the last couple of days downloading vegan books on my iPad and reading about the benefits of this type of lifestyle. I've never been one who enjoys cooking, so my google searches are "simple vegan meals" and "easiest vegan desserts." In just a couple of days, I've learned a ton and can't wait to share it all with you, over time :). Two nights ago, I made my first vegan meal, vegan slowcooker chile. It was so delish, even Addy gobbled up his bowl and came back for seconds. Today I ran out to No Frills and collected the ingredients to made the quickest dessert ever. In minutes, I had created raw and vegan chocolate and coconut macaroons, all on my own! I'll be honest, one of my biggest trepidations was how I was going to satisfy my sweet tooth, and I'm so relieved to have found a treat I love.

Hope you enjoyed reading this...I'll leave you with a pic of my sinful macaroons. Have a great night!


No comments: